The primary responsibility of the Production Manager (PM), or Print Buyer, is to ensure scheduling, production and on-time delivery of all agency creative, including merchandise and other promotional items.
Internally, s/he collaborates with creative directors, art directors and graphic designers, as well as members of the account service team and traffic department. S/he also works closely with a variety of external suppliers.
The PM reports directly to the Creative Director (CD).
• Attends daily (or weekly) production meeting; leads meeting (if required)
• Checks initial input for accuracy and requests additional information (if needed)
• Meets with account service and creative teams to ensure consistency across all media forms
• Possesses a working knowledge of design and printing technologies
• Collaborates with creative team regarding project specifications (e.g. colors, dimensions, etc.)
• Alerts account service, CD and Traffic Manager if deadlines cannot be met
• Obtains detailed estimates from a variety of vendors; ideally, three per project
• Maintains up-to-date contact information for all vendors
• Maintains and develops strong vendor relationships
• Calculates all in-house, external printing charges
• Obtains best possible delivery dates for all agency projects
• Proofreads all materials before vendor distribution (i.e. copy/layouts/production art)
• Assists Office Manager in ordering internal supplies (e.g. paper, printer ink, etc.)
• Issues Purchase Orders for all printing-related expenses
• Attends vendor press checks (as necessary) and ensures high quality of materials
• Obtains sequential sign-off on all proofs moving in and out of the agency
• Delivers creative materials as instructed by account service team
• Submits a daily Time Sheet detailing work execution
• Reviews vendor invoices, including shipping receipts, and resolves billing discrepancies